Index
» Tombstones and burial places of the masters and members of the German Order
Tombstones of the masters and members of the German Order
Tombstones are the subject of biographical, epigraphic, heraldic and weaponry
studies and, to a lesser extent, literary-historical ones.
Burial of the dead in sacred places was a common practice since the early Middle
Ages, despite repeated prohibitions by the Church. It was an expression of a
special communion between the living and the dead. Tombstones, i.e. works of
stone, metal or wood, worked in sculpture, served to preserve the memory of the
deceased. Grave markers usually marked the burial place and often also formed
the lid of the burial chamber in the form of a grave slab.
Although the Christianization of Prussia began at the end of the 10th century,
the oldest example of a Christian tomb found here dates back to the end of the
12th to the first decade of the 13th century. It is a granite tomb slab
decorated with a cross, which was discovered during excavations on the site of
the first church of St. Nicholas in Danzig, which was given to the Dominicans in
1227. And if this slab with a cross can be dated to the beginning of the period
in question, then, depending on the criteria adopted, the end can fall at the
beginning of the Reformation.
Medieval tombs in Prussia were examined in inventories and various catalogues of
art monuments, such as the works on the architectural and artistic monuments of
East and West Prussia by A. Bötticher and B. Schmid, in individual descriptions
of cities and buildings, in reports on the conservation of monuments and
archaeological sites, as well as in general and regional studies on the history
of art and architecture in the region. At the end of the 19th and the beginning
of the 20th century, the most important groups of funerary monuments were
scientifically processed, especially the monuments in Danzig, Thorn, Frauenburg
and Königsberg, as well as in Marienburg.
The main problem when working with such a group of monuments is the question of
the relationship between what is known today and what existed originally.
Tombstones were and remain particularly susceptible to destruction. Both images
and inscriptions on the gravestones have always been erased by visitors to the
church. The progression of the destruction of these tombstones can be seen if
one compares, for example, the graphic documentation of the tombstones of the
Dominican Church and the Church of St. Mary in Danzig, compiled at the end of
the 19th century, with their current state, where almost no inscriptions or
coats of arms have been preserved. However, the condition of many monuments was
far from satisfactory even in the mid-19th century, as evidenced by the
tombstones of the cathedral in Marienwerder, which were inserted into the walls
of the naves and choir during restoration work in the 1960s.
Tombstones
in the nave of the Marienwerder Cathedral (now Kwidzyn), 2007.
Another reason for the destruction of gravestones was the custom, which had been
practised for a long time – especially in modern times – of using the same grave
by different generations. Already in the Middle Ages, this led to the addition
of new inscriptions and new images to old gravestones. An example is the Danzig
gravestone of an unknown couple, which was used by the merchants' guild to cover
a joint grave in the church of St. Mary.
Tombstones were often misused, in some cases even as altar stones. There were
probably also cases of the opposite. A gravestone covered with small crosses and
kept in the church of St. John in Danzig was interpreted as an altar stone. If
this is indeed the case, and the stone was part of a medieval altar stone, then
the change in function certainly occurred after the Reformation.
The practice of breaking up gravestones into small pieces to be used as floor or
paving slabs in or in front of churches, which was still practised in the early
20th century, had far worse consequences.
In 1239, Grand Master Hermann von Salza died in Salerno (Italy).
The nearest order house was Barletta, where the master was
buried in the chapel of St. Thomas. To this day, neither the
exact burial place of the master nor his tombstone have been
preserved. There is no exact information about the location of
the chapel in which the master was buried. According to one
version, the chapel and the order house were outside the city
and have not survived to this day, as has the burial place of
the master.
According to another, this is the modern church of St.
Augustine. During the reconstruction and restoration of the
church in the mid-18th century, its rector Fatebenfratelli
ordered the use of ancient gravestones, rich in inscriptions and
noble coats of arms, to pave the square in front of the church.
Thus, it is possible that one of the slabs on the pavement in
front of the church is the tombstone of the Grand Master of the
Teutonic Order Hermann von Salza.
In Kulmsee, small parts of the tombstone of the Grand Master of the Teutonic
Order Siegfried von Feuchtwangen were used as steps between the nave and the
transept. It also happened that tombstones were used as raw material for burning
lime. This is how the monuments from the Church of St. Nicholas in Elbing were
lost – they were sold after the devastating fire of 1777 (Fuchs, 1821). A
similar fate befell some tombstones from the cathedral in Königsberg a little
later. Mayor Theodor Gottlieb von Hippel, after consulting with the state
ministry, ordered the “duty-free sale” of damaged tombstones that no longer had
an owner (Hagen, 1833).
Fragments
of a tombstone as steps in the Kulmsee Cathedral.
In addition, structural alterations and restorations carried out in the sacred
buildings in question in modern and contemporary times have contributed to the
reduction in the number of medieval gravestones. The extent of the losses can be
judged, for example, by comparing the lists of gravestones in the church of St.
Mary in Thorn from the beginning of the 18th century and the end of the 19th
century (Semrau, 1892). A rare and particularly valuable source for research is
the floor plan of the church of St. Mary in Danzig from the 18th century, which
shows the location of individual graves, as well as several lists of gravestones
(Steinbucher) from the same church (APG 300/MP 1235a; Sign. 10/354/0/342, 343.
34).
In most cases, however, it is almost impossible to trace changes in church
tombs. Written sources concerning Oliwa indicate that there were Gothic
tombstones there. However, due to several catastrophes that befell the church –
a great fire in 1350, an attack by the Hussites in 1433, and the sack of
soldiers in the service of the city of Danzig in 1577, which had rebelled
against the Polish king Stefan Batory – not a single medieval tombstone has
survived in Oliwa.
The changes to the floor of Frauenburg Cathedral are relatively well documented
(Dittrich, 1913;1916). The original 14th-century brick floor was repaired in
1480. In 1666, stone tiles were laid in the presbytery and in 1673 in the nave.
Presumably, a large number of tombstones were moved around during this time.
However, it is known, not least from wills, that canons were usually buried next
to their altars. In the 17th century, it was decided that the large number of
epitaphs and tombstones threatened the "stability of the building". As a result,
in 1682 the cathedral chapter decreed that new epitaphs could only be placed in
the cathedral with the consent of the bishop. From 1720, the cathedral clergy
were buried in the common crypt. In 1860-1861, when new floor tiles were laid by
the Wehrhan company from Neuss, most of the gravestones were placed in the
places where benches were later installed. Despite the great care taken, several
of the slabs broke into so many pieces that, according to the masons, they were
no longer suitable for use and were therefore used for burning lime. The floor
was later repaired in 1923, and in 1982, due to the installation of central
heating, some of the gravestones had to be re-laid.
The number of tombstones decreased, not least due to the events of the Second
World War, with the result that six of the seven known Gothic tombstones in
Elbing were lost. Almost
all of the tombstones in the Königsberg Cathedral were lost during the
destruction of the cathedral during the war and the following years.
Until recently, the fastening of gravestones to church walls was a common method
of protecting the images on the slabs from deterioration. The preferred method
of preserving monuments is to reinstall the restored gravestones in the floor,
often not in their original location but in a position determined by the
interior architect. The lapidary of the church of St. Matthaus in Preußisch
Stargard or the two Danzig churches of St. John and St. Peter and Paul are
examples of such a procedure. The usefulness of such procedures can be highly
questionable, since the panels are now again subject to periodic treading by
parishioners.
Tombstones of members of the Teutonic Order
Before the construction of the chapel of St. Anne in Marienburg, the order had
no permanent burial place for its members in Prussia. Thus the landmasters were
buried in various churches in Prussia, and for this reason the final resting
place of most of them is unknown. In all likelihood, an attempt was made in the
earliest period to create a central necropolis for the landmasters in the
cathedral at Kulmsee. Although a common burial vault was created for the masters
in the residence, they were nevertheless also buried in other places. In other
cases, of which only fragmentary information is available, and almost
exclusively in relation to the castles of the commandries located in cities, the
brothers were usually buried in parish churches over which the order had
patronage rights, or in hospital churches.
Grand Masters
Most of the Grand Masters of the Teutonic Order found their final resting place
in the cathedral churches of Prussia. The cathedral in Kulmsee, Marienwerder and
Königsberg were the final resting places of the Order's supreme leaders.
On March 5, 1311, the Grand Master of the Order, Siegfried von Feuchtwangen,
died in Marienburg. In 1309, he had moved the capital of the Order from Venice
to Marienburg and was therefore the first Master of the Order to die in Prussia.
However, he was not buried in the new capital, but in one of the oldest
cathedrals in Prussia, the cathedral of the Kulm bishopric – the Cathedral of
the Holy Trinity in Kulmsee. “In that year (1311), on the third nona of March,
Brother Siegfried von Feuchtwangen, Grand Master of the Order of the Teutonic
House, died in the chapter house in Marienburg and was buried in Kulmensee, in
the cathedral church” (SRP 1, 176)
Steps
from fragments of the tombstone of Siegfried von Feuchtwangen, Kulmsee
Cathedral.
The exact location of his burial in the cathedral is unknown, but fragments of
the master's tombstone have survived to this day and are used as steps to the
chapel of Blessed Jutta of Sangerhausen (c. 1200 - 1260), the patron saint of
Prussia, who was also buried in the Kulmsee Cathedral. Presumably, Master von
Feuchtwangen was buried next to Blessed Jutta in the right nave of the
cathedral.
Shield
of Master Karl von Trier.
Siegfried von Feuchtwangen's successor, Karl von Trier, was forced to leave
Prussia due to internal conflicts and spent the last years of his leadership of
the Order in the Empire. In 1324, he found his final resting place in the Order
chapel in his home town of Trier (Niess, 1992).
The next Master, Werner von Orseln, who was killed in Marienburg on November 18,
1330, was buried in the cathedral in Marienwerder - "When the body of the Master
was, with tears and sobs, reverently and solemnly, as was fitting, buried in
Marienwerder in the cathedral church..." (SRP 5, 611). This was probably due to
the need to quickly stop speculation after the murder committed by Brother
Johann von Endorf, which was shocking for the Order itself and negative for its
image and reputation.
Master Luther von Braunschweig, who contributed to the construction of the
cathedral and bequeathed it to be buried there, was buried in the cathedral on
Kneiphof. The exact location of his burial is unknown. Researcher Konrad
Steinbrecht suggests that the master, as the founder of the cathedral, was
originally buried behind the altar in the presbytery (Steinbrecht, 1916). His
burial place was covered with a tombstone made of Gotland limestone. In the
early 1830s, the tombstone of Master Luther was discovered near the epitaph of
Chancellor Johann von Kospoth. The lower part of the tombstone was missing, the
Gothic letters had worn off over time, but thanks to plaster casts, the text on
it was restored.
FRATER . LUThERVS . FILIUS. DUCIs / . DE . BRUNKSWIK . MAGISTER. GENERALIS .
HOSPITALIS SANCTE / (MARIE · DOMUS . ThEUTONICOR . PREFU) / IT . ANNIS . III .
OBIIT . ANNO . DOMINI . MCCC XXXV . XIII . KAL . MAII .
Brother Luther, son of the Duke of Brunswick, Grand Master of the Hospital of
the Most Holy (Mary of the Teutonic Order) for 4 years, died in the year of the
Lord 1335, 14th Kalends of May.
Drawing
of the tombstone of Luther von Braunschweig. Steinbrecht, 1916.
However, already then (1830s) in the southern wall of the high choir of the
cathedral there was a niche with the allegedly buried remains of the Grand
Master. In this niche was located the recumbent figure of Luther von
Braunschweig. Presumably, the figure was created in the 16th century by a
Königsberg master. The figure of the Master was made of linden and painted - a
red tunic and a pillbox cap, a blue pillow and a white order cloak with a black
cross. The arms and legs were missing, which were created in Marienburg and
added during the restoration at the beginning of the 20th century.
Niche
with a figure of Luther von Braunschweig in the Königsberg Cathedral.
In the niche there was an epitaph, at first in simple font, then replaced with
Gothic:
Here are buried the bones of the founder of the cathedral, Luther, Duke of
Brunswick, Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, who died in 1335.
After restoration, a tombstone of the Samland bishop Henry II Kuwal appeared in
the wall next to the niche.
Tombstone
of Bishop Kuval.
Henry II Kubal (Kubal) was Bishop of the Sambian diocese from
1386 to 1395. He died on August 28, 1397 and was buried in the
high choir of the Königsberg Cathedral. Most of the bishops of
Samland were buried in the cathedral, but only the tombstone of
Bishop Kubal has survived (conditionally). The Latin inscription
on his tombstone read:
Ter . lege . C . priority . M . supra . XC volvito. September /
Augustin . festo . cubal . obitus . memor . That's it. octavi
sambe . presulis . ecclesia
Count a hundred three times, first a thousand, then ninety, add
another seven, on the feast of Augustine remember the death of
the eighth primate of the Church of Sambia.
There were two images on his tombstone. According to one
version, it is the bishop in his youth and old age, according to
another, it is the tombstone of two bishops at once - Heinrich
II Kubala and his successor Heinrich III Seefeld. The tombstone
was located near the wall of the destroyed cathedral until the
early 1990s. Currently, it is presumably in the collections of
the KOIHM.
But the main necropolis was the Chapel of St. Anne in the castle of Marienburg.
There were buried 10 Grand Masters. However, it is not known whether all of them
were honored with gravestones. Only the gravestones of Dietrich von Altenburg,
Heinrich Dusemer and Heinrich von Plauen have survived to this day.
The
Chapel of St. Anne in Marienburg Castle and the preserved tombstones of the
masters.
The rhymed majuscule inscription on the tombstone of Dietrich von Altenburg,
similar to that of Luther von Braunschweig, reads:
+ DO . UNSERS . hEREN . XPI . IAR . WAS . M . D/RI . C . XLI . GAR . DO . STARB
. D . MEIST . SINE. RICH . VON . ALDENBURC . BRUDER / DITERICH . hIE . LEGIN.
DIE . MEISTER / BEGRAB. DER . VON . ALDENBURC . hAT . ANGEHABEN . AMEN .
The year of our Lord Christ was 1341. Master von Aldenburg, brother of Dietrich,
died. Here lie the masters from Aldenburg onwards. Amen.
Steinbrecht suggests that the author of the text on the slab could have been the
brother chaplain and order chronicler Nikolai von Eroschin, author of the rhymed
"Chronicle of the Prussian Land" (Steinbrecht, 92). At the same time, the text
contains a reference to the successors of the master. And it can be assumed that
the tomb of Dietrich von Altenburg was created at least after the death of
Heinrich Dusemer, 12 years later, since he is individually honored on the
tombstone (von Quast, 1851).
Drawing
of the tombstone of Dietrich von Altenburg. Steinbrecht, 1916.
It is not known for sure whether this is a symbolic tomb or a gravestone. The
same doubts apply to the slab of Heinrich von Plauen. The gravestone of Dietrich
von Altenburg, located between the graves of Dusemer and Plauen, covers a deep
cavity, presumably a collective burial of the Grand Masters buried in
Marienburg. For example, the bishops of Pomesanie (Marienwerder Cathedral) and
Kulm (Kulmsee Cathedral) were also buried in collective tombs. The circumstances
of the burials in the chapel of St. Anne are not exactly known. Unfortunately,
there is insufficient evidence of the changes to the original state that have
occurred here both in modern times and especially during the restoration work of
the 19th and early 20th centuries. Even their original placement in the chapel
and whether there were actually graves under the gravestones of Plauen and
Dusemer are unknown.
Presumably
the tombstone of Ludolf von König in the Marienwerder Cathedral.
Grand Master Ludolf König resigned from his position in 1345 due to prolonged
depression and mental illness. He received the position of commander in
Engelsburg, where he died in 1348. He was buried in Marienwerder, in the crypt
of the cathedral. Currently, a tombstone hangs in the presbytery of the
cathedral, which researchers have identified as Ludolf König's. The Latin
inscription around the perimeter of the slab and in the cross reads:
(Creator. omnium. rerum. deus. qui.) me. d[e] . limo . terre . plasmas. et .
mi[r]abiliter e[t] . p[ro]p[ri]o . sa[n]gvine . redemisti . corpus . q[ue] .
meu[m] . licet . modo . putrescat . (from . sepulchre . facies) . in . the
judiciaries. resuscita[r]i . et . ad . dext[r]a . colloca[r]i . et . live . fili
. dei . mis . mei
Lord, Creator of all things, who created me from the dust of the earth and
miraculously redeemed me with Your Blood, grant that my body, created in Your
Image, will rise from the grave on the Day of Judgment and again be clothed in
flesh and come to life. Son of God, have mercy on me.
The next Master, Heinrich Dusemer, also resigned his position at the end of 1351
due to deteriorating health. In 1352, he moved to Bratiaan Castle, where he died
in 1353. He was buried in the burial vault of the Grand Masters in the Chapel of
St. Anne of Marienburg Castle. As mentioned above, his tombstone has been
preserved in the chapel. The rectangular slab with the image of the deceased
standing in a pointed arch with a mascaron was originally considered to be the
slab of Master Winrich von Kniprode (Voigt, 1824). The Master is dressed in a
mantle with a cross on his left shoulder. The right hand of the deceased is
placed on his heart, and the left supports a shield with a cross and a sword
placed behind it. The face is framed by lush, slightly wavy hair and a trimmed
beard. In the upper corners above the arch are the outlines of a pair of angels.
Above are illegible remains of a minuscule inscription. Around the perimeter is
a rhymed inscription in majuscule:
(DO) UNSERS hERR IAR WAS . LOVF M (… / …) C LDR I ICZ · / V hOUF BEGRABEN WART
ALhIE / DI LICH DES [Hoemeister Hinerich]
Our Lord was in the year 1 (353). Here is buried the body (of Grand Master
Henry).
The illegible outlines of the image of the deceased and the angels, as well as
the inscription, were noted by Voigt and then Witt (Voigt, 1824; Witt, 1854).
The first conservation work was carried out in 1821-1824. In 1885, the missing
corners were filled in with cement patches. The slab was again badly damaged in
1945 when the vault of the chapel collapsed. As a result, the image on the slab
is almost completely damaged and illegible.
Drawing
of the tombstone of Heinrich Dusemer. Steinbrecht, 1916.
The subsequent Masters of the Order, from Winrich von Kniprode to Ulrich von
Jungingen, who died in the Battle of Grunwald, were buried in the Chapel of St.
Anne. However, no tombstones, epitaphs or other material evidence of their
burials have been preserved there.
The fresco on the western wall of the Chapel of St. Anne can be
considered a depiction of the events of the Battle of Grunwald.
Work on it was begun by Heinrich Schaper and it was completed
after his death by Friedrich Schwarting in 1914. The painting
was dedicated to the knights of the Order who fell in the Battle
of Grunwald - the patron saint of European chivalry, St. George,
handed over the Teutonic dignitaries, led by Master Ulrich von
Jungingen, to the care of Mary and the Child.
Effigy
of Conrad von Thuringen in the Marburg Cathedral.
Next to the wall with the fresco, in the role of a cenotaph for
the fallen knights, there was a copy of the effigy of Master
Conrad von Thuringen, installed during the restoration at the
beginning of the 20th century.
The effigy of Grand Master Conrad von Thuringen
is located in the Church of St. Elizabeth in
Marburg, where he was buried in 1240. The Grand
Master is depicted in the vestments of the Order
with a whip in his right hand, which symbolizes
spiritual rebirth and an act of repentance. At
his feet are two coats of arms - the Order's
cross and Conrad's personal coat of arms, the
"Thuringian lion".
Since no lifetime images of his predecessors as
Master survive, Conrad von Thuringen's tombstone
is the earliest portrait of one of the Masters
of the Order.
The third tombstone, currently located in the Chapel of St. Anne, belongs to
Master Heinrich von Plauen. The savior of the Order and defender of Marienburg,
he became Master in 1410, but was then removed from office and resigned as
Master in 1414. From 1414 to 1424, the former Master von Plauen was imprisoned,
after which he spent his last years in Lochstedt Castle. The Master died in
1429. But this is where things get interesting. Excavations carried out in
2006-2008 in the crypt of the Marienwerder Cathedral revealed that the third
Master buried there was Heinrich von Plauen (Grupa/Kozłowski, 2009). At the same
time, von Plauen's tombstone was located in the Chapel of St. Anne, at least
since the 19th century. It is not known exactly whether it was in the chapel
since the 15th century or was moved there later from the crypt of the
Marienwerder Cathedral.
Drawing
of the tombstone of Heinrich von Plauen. Steinbrecht, 1916.
Von Plauen slab with losses and cracks, in the four corners there were round
rosettes with metal appliqués, possibly with symbols of the evangelists, an
inscription in minuscule Gothic script.
In . der . Iar · / czal . xpi . M . cccc . xxix . do . starp . der / erwi(rdige]
/ . bruder (…) heinrich . van . plawen .
In 1429, brother Heinrich von Plauen died.
The three subsequent masters, Michael Küchmeister von Sternberg, Paul von
Rusdorf and Conrad von Erlichshausen, were also buried in the chapel of St.
Anne. The latter's cousin, Ludwig von Erlichshausen, as a master, left
Marienburg, which had been pawned to mercenaries during the Thirteen Years' War,
and moved to Königsberg, where he died in 1467. The master was buried in the
crypt of the Königsberg Cathedral, located under the high choir.
Choir
of the Könisberg Cathedral, mid-19th century.
The next four masters were also buried in the crypt of the Königsberg Cathedral.
Not a single tombstone from these burials has survived, and probably never
existed.
The crypt was located under the high choir of the cathedral. The crypt had five
chambers with fairly low vaults. The northernmost chamber was walled up forever
in 1809. According to legend, it contains the remains of the Grand Masters
Erlichshausen, Reuss von Plauen, Richtenberg, Wetzhausen, Tieffen, as well as
five offspring from the first marriage of Duke Albrecht, Duchess Dorothea, Duke
Albrecht himself, Duchess Anna Maria, two sons of Duke Albrecht Friedrich who
died as children, Countess Elizabeth of Brandenburg, wife of Margrave Georg
Friedrich, and a blind-born daughter, Elizabeth, from Duke Albrecht's second
marriage. The coffins date from 1467-1596 and are unlikely to have been
preserved in good condition. Presumably, during the French occupation, they were
plundered and were in such a state of disrepair that it was decided to wall them
up to hide them forever from prying eyes. In the middle crypt, directly under
the epitaph of Duke Albrecht, was a large tin coffin containing the remains of
Margrave John Sigismund of Brandenburg, son of Elector John George. He died as
ruler of the Duchy of Cleves in 1640 and was transferred here and buried in the
Königsberg Cathedral in 1642 (Dethlefsen, 1912). After the restoration of the
cathedral in the early 20th century, this coffin was displayed in the lower
choir and the crypt was finally closed.
Portrait
of Friedrich of Saxony from the Königsberg Cathedral.
Among the tombstones and epitaphs of the high choir were
life-size figurative portraits of six masters who lived in
Königsberg: Ludwig von Erlichshausen, Heinrich Reuss von Plauen,
Heinrich Reffle von Richtenbertg, Martin Truchses von Wetzhausen,
Johann von Tieffen and Friedrich of Saxony. The drawings were
made before 1595, since at that time Hennenberg commissioned
Caspar Felbinger to make woodcuts from them, which he included
in his work on the history of Prussia.
The assumption that each painting was always commissioned by the
immediate successor to the post is probably incorrect. At least
the first five so clearly betray the same hand that it is
impossible to explain this relationship by the style of
different artists alone. Even by repainting alone, as Leshin did
in 1833 during the restoration of the cathedral, this similarity
was not introduced into the paintings, which were originally of
different character. It remains only to assume that all these
five paintings were commissioned at once by the Grand Master,
the Duke of Saxony. The image of the Duke himself, certainly the
most important in the series, is a good work, belonging to the
Wittenberg school, created under Albrecht of Prussia. It is
noteworthy that only this Duke is depicted with a raised sword.
The lowered sword of his predecessors signified their dependence
on Poland. Friedrich did not give this feudal oath, and
therefore the raised sword fell to him.
The penultimate Master of the Order, Friedrich of Saxony, was not a member of
the Order before his election; in 1498, the Order's embassy offered him the
position of Master. In 1507, he left Prussia and moved to Europe in order to
find allies and help in the fight against Poland. In 1510, he died in Rochlitz
and was buried in Meissen Cathedral. His tombstone in the princely chapel of
Meissen Cathedral has survived to this day. Although his figure and facial
features are somewhat idealized, the image is generally similar to known
lifetime images of the Master.
Drawing
of the tombstone of Friedrich of Saxony.Several
images of Master Friedrich of Saxony are known.
One lifetime portrait of the Master was located
on the northern wall of the high choir of the
Königsberg Cathedral, surrounded by other
portraits of the "Königsberg Masters". Below and
to the left hung a portrait of Ludwig von
Erlishausen.
This portrait was taken as a basis by the
engraver Caspar Felbinger, who created portraits
of the masters for the book of Hennenberg
(1595). In general, having completely repeated
the details - the pose, the shield-cartouche,
the sword, the headdress and the helmet - for
some reason he added a moustache to the
beardless Friedrich. But in the book of
Hartknoch of 1684, the portrait of Friedrich is
already completely fictitious, although it is
clearly copied from the work of Felbinger.
Another lifetime image of the master is a
chamber portrait, or more precisely a copy, by
Cranach the Younger from a lost Saxon portrait.
The image of the master's appearance practically
repeats the Königsberg portrait. The surviving
copy was created after the death of the master
in 1578-1580.
The inscription on the tombstone of Frederick of Saxony reads:
On xpi [Christ] gepurtt . M.CCCCC . vnd . X . iar . Am XIV tag |
December's months are about to be over | <or> to make the most
of the high-speed winding and the most difficult thing to do <d>
your father Friedrich is very pleased | chief master of the
Ertzpischofflichen Kirk | when the prince in Magdeburg took over
the army | In Turin, we are forced to go to the mountains. the
seller got a lot of attention. we are talking about you +
In the year of our Lord 1510. On the 14th day of the month of
December, the most venerable, serene and high-born prince and
lord, Lord Friedrich of the Teutonic Order, Supreme Master,
Coadjutor of the Cathedral of Magdeburg, Duke of Saxony,
Landgrave of Thuringia and Margrave of Meissen, was struck down
by death in Rochlitz. May the Lord have mercy and compassion on
his soul. His body rests here.
The last Master of the Order, Albrecht von Brandenburg, was also
buried in the Königsberg Cathedral, but as a secular ruler, the
Duke of Prussia. A tombstone in the center of the high choir was
dedicated to him, his first wife, and five children. A huge
epitaph on the eastern wall of the high choir, made by the
Flemish sculptor Cornelis Floris, was dedicated to him
separately.
Epitaph
of Albrecht of Brandenburg in the Königsberg Cathedral.
Landmeisters, Grand Administrators and other Order dignitaries
The necropolis of the Order dignitaries was probably created in the Kulmsee
Cathedral, which is confirmed by a document of the Grand Master Michael
Küchmeister from 1419. He established a lamp with an eternal flame in the
cathedral, burning for the repose of the souls of the brothers buried there. The
fire was to burn in the Chapel of St. John, where the knights of the Order were
buried (UBC 1 411-2). It is not known where this chapel could have been located;
some suggest that it was a crypt (Mroczko, 1980).
In 1263, Landmeister Helmerich von Würzburg, who died in battle with the
Natangs, was buried in Kulmsee, as was Ludwig von Schippen in 1300 (SRP 1 102,
165; Dorna, 2012). The remains of the tombstone of another Prussian Landmeister,
Konrad Sack, who died in 1308, were found in the Kulmsee Cathedral and described
by Ferdinand von Quast (von Quast, 1850). By the end of the 19th century, the
tombstone had disappeared, but the barely legible inscription on the remains of
the slab read (Schmid, 1935):
Little is known about the burials of the brothers who held the positions of
great administrators. These positions included: Grand Marshal, Grand Commander,
Grand Hospitaller, Grand Intendant and Treasurer.
It is known that of the Grand Marshals, only Siegfried von Danfeld died in
office and of natural causes in 1360: "Then Brother Siegfried, the Marshal, who
greatly exalted the Order, a man of great determination, piety and noble life,
ended his days on St. George's Day" (SRP 2 523-4). His burial place is not
indicated, but it can be assumed that it was one of the churches in Königsberg,
which was the Marshal's residence.
The next Marshal, Henning Schindekopf, fell in the Battle of Rudau in 1370,
having received a mortal wound to the face with a spear. The Marshal died on the
way to Königsberg, in the Quednau area, near the Matzkalen tavern. According
to one version, he
was buried in the Quednau church. In fact, the Marshal was buried in the Church
of Maria Magdalena, which was located behind the Königsberg Castle (Stein, 1730;
Bötticher, 1897). At the beginning of the 18th century, the remains of a man
with a medallion-amulet containing the letters B and X were found there -
presumably "Brother Henning". However, researchers date it to at least 100 years
after Schindekopf's death (Vossberg, 1843).
In the Battle of Rudau, according to the chronicles, in addition
to Marshal Schindekopf, 26 brothers of the Order fell. Among
them were the Commander of Brandenburg Kuno von Hattenstein, the
Hauskomtur of Brandenburg Heinrich von Stockheim and the
Commander of Reden Petzold von Corwitz. Their burial place is
unknown. One of the guest knights of the Order, Arnold von
Lorech, also died in the battle.
And another marshal who fell on the battlefield, Friedrich von Wallenrod, who
died in the Battle of Grunwald. His burial place is unknown. Some of those who
died in the battle were buried on the battlefield, some in Osterode, and some of
the identified ones, along with the master, were taken to Marienburg and buried
in the castle.
The tombstone of Grand Komtur Kuno von Liebenstein in the parish
church of St. Thomas in Neumark is the only tombstone of a Grand
Commander that has survived to this day. He left the office of
Grand Komtur in 1387 and ended his days as Vogt of Bratiann in
1392 (Heckmann, 2014). The truly unique tombstone of Kuno von
Liebenstein deserves a special description and has been the
subject of separate studies (Nickel, 1955; Wróblewska, 1961).
The 2.50 x 1.40 metre slab is installed in the western wall of
the church. The surface consists of 11 rectangular brass sheets
of varying sizes. The background of the panel, separated from
the inscription by a narrow strip of floral thread, is covered
with a fine, small engraved mesh. The four corners of the
inscription are decorated with medallions depicting figures of
the Evangelists with a floral motif. In the centre of the panel
is a knight of the Order in battle dress, trampling a lion and
surrounded by nine angels with outstretched wings, some of which
bear the von Liebenstein family coats of arms.
Tombstone
of Kuno von Liebenstein.
The Latin inscription in
minuscule reads:
Hic . iacet . Dominus . kune / de libensteen . qui . fuit .
Advocate . in bratian . qui . obiit . a / nno . domini . M . CCC
XCI . in . / feria . quinta . octo . dies . post . yes . santi .
Borchardi ame.
Here lies Mr. Kuno de Liebenstein, who was bailiff in
Bratiann, who died in 1391 on the fourth day after St.
Burchard's Day. Amen.
Grand Commander Kuno von Lichtenstein also died in the Battle of
Grunwald and his burial place, like that of Marshal von
Wallenrod, is unknown.
Several of the High Hospitallers (and Elbing commanders at the
same time) died in office. However, burial information is only
known about Ortluff von Trier, who left office in 1371. The
tombstone of von Trier, who died in 1377, was located in the
church of the Elbing Hospital of the Holy Spirit. The Latin
inscription in majuscule on the slab read:
ANNO . DNI . M . CCC . LXXUII . DIE / MARCI . EWAGELICTE + DNS .
ORTOLFUS. DETRI / RE . ET (…) XXIII . ANNOS / CONMEND(ATOR . DE
.) ELBING . ORATE . PRO . EO .
In the year of our Lord 1377, on the day of St. Mark the
Evangelist, Ortluff of Trier died, and ... 23 years old
commander of Elbing. Pray to God for him.
Drawing
of the tombstone of Ortluff von Trier.
The burial site was not chosen by chance. Since Elbing Castle
did not have a burial chapel like Marienburg, the hospital
church, which was under the jurisdiction of the High
Hospitaller, was chosen as the burial site. In 1933, the stone
was raised and placed outside in front of the southern wall of
the church (Schmid, 1936).
There is no information about the burials and tombstones of the brothers who
held the position of Supreme Intendant (and Commander of Christburg
concurrently). There is also no information about the brothers who held the
position of Treasurer. However, two brothers are known to have died in these
positions: Albrecht von Schwarzburg and Thomas von Merheim, who died in the
Battle of Grunwald.
In the lower castle of Marienburg, in the church of St. Laurentius, the knight
brother Dietrich von Logendorf, a diplomat and adviser to the master, was
buried. He died in 1424. The
inscription in minuscule on his heraldic tombstone reads:
In . der . I'm talking to you. / M . CCCC . III xx
verestarb . der . hervirdige / . under stress. Diherich . van . / logendorff +
ritter hi begraben
. bitten . got . vor . en +
In the year of our Lord 1424, the magnificent and strict knight Dietrich von
Logendorf died. Please pray for him.
His heraldic tombstone in the church wall survives to this day (Dobry, 2005).
Tombstone
of Dietrich von Logendorff in the Church of St. Lawrence, Marienburg Castle.
It is known that in most cases, brothers from the commanderies were usually
buried in city parish churches, over which the Order had patronage rights, or in
the churches of hospitals and monasteries. At the same time, these could also be
churches of other monastic orders. On the other hand, it is not known exactly
where brothers from castles located outside the city areas were buried after
death.
Medieval sources also provide a detailed look at the burial site of the Order
brothers from Thorn Castle. According to a document issued on 14 October 1346,
Grand Master Heinrich Dusemer endowed the parish church in Old Thorn with three
surrounding villages. The parish priest and cleric were, among other things,
obliged to pray for the numerous Teutonic brothers buried in this church (PUB 4,
75). The burials there were probably created between the mid-14th and mid-15th
centuries, while the Order house existed there, later moving to Thorn (Jasiński,
1981).
In a document from 12 September 1415, Grand Master Michael Küchmeister expresses
his consent to the merger of the Benedictine monastery with the Hospital of the
Holy Spirit in Thorn. There is information that the latter had long been a
burial place for the brothers of the Order (UBC 1, 490). A document from Bishop
Jan Margenau of Kulm from 17 November 1451 has been received, on the basis of
which he presented Andreas, chaplain of the commander of Thorn, with a new vicar
in the Church of the Holy Spirit in this city (APT, Kat. I, nr 1293). This
clergyman was probably supposed to conduct a service for the Order brothers from
Thorn Castle, buried in this church.
There is information from 1413 that the Teutonic brothers were also buried in
the Augustinian monastery in Chojnice (Observationes nonnullae…, 1910).
The Commander of Danzig, David von Kammerstein, who died in 1321, was buried in
front of the entrance to the chapter hall of the Cistercian monastery in Oliwa
(Kronika oliwska, p. 93). Later, the Order used the chapel in the choir of the
Dominican monastery in Danzig as a burial place for the brothers of the Order.
By a letter dated 27 July 1446, Prior Heinrich Münbecke, Pauwel Kruse, Hermann
Trippenmacher and other brothers of the Dominican monastery of St. Nicholas in
Danzig granted permission to a secular priest, at the request of Master Konrad
von Erlichshausen, to celebrate daily masses for the brothers of the Order in
their traditional burial place, the chapel of the Dominican monastery (GStA PK,
XX. HA, Perg.-Urkk., Schieblade LIV, Nr. 23a). As early as the beginning of the
summer of 1446, the Order official in charge of customs duties and taxes in
Danzig (Pfundmeister) Winrich von Manstedt instituted
a mass for the repose of the deceased brothers of the Order, celebrated at the
altar in the burial chapel. Von Manstedt also
instituted a position for a lay priest, for whom he determined an annual salary
of 9 marks. On July 10, Master Conrad von Erlichshausen approved this
institution and agreed with the Dominicans that a morning mass would be
celebrated in the chapel daily by a secular priest and 4 times a year a vigil
and morning mass by the Dominicans. In a letter dated July 27, 1446, the
Dominicans, at the request of the Grand Master, pledged to provide a priest who
would celebrate mass every morning in the chapel, in the choir of the monastery
church, where the burial vault of the brothers was located. In 1466 the chapel
came under the control of the Brotherhood of St. Christopher of the Court of
Arthur in Danzig. The heraldic tombstone of the unknown Kaspar von Wulfstein,
who died on 13 December 1425, has been preserved to this day and is located in
the floor of the Dominican church (Engel/Hanstein, 1893).
In front of the altar of the parish church of St. Bartholomew in
Preußisch-Holland there was a tombstone of the commander of Preußisch-Holland
(Stein, 1730). The lost tombstone dates back to the end of the 15th – beginning
of the 16th centuries, when the Pflegerdom of Preußisch-Holland became a
commandery.
The slab of Gunther von Hohenstein, Komtur of Brandenburg, who died in 1380, was
located in the parish church of Brandenburg. The quite legible inscription in
minuscule read:
+ xpi . tciii . iar . vnd . lx . vorw / ar . Maria . magdalenen . tag . g…nth d
be / tot . lach . by . hoensteyn . d . m / I don't know what to do . mein .
bilde . seh . uf . hohi . begr / abe . got . myse . dy . select . h / aben .
Drawing
of the tombstone of Gunther von Hohenstein. Steinbrecht, 1888.
The Order chronicler Nikolai von Eroshin, who wrote his chronicle in the first
half of the 14th century, mentions one knight brother, Heinrich von Bondorf, who
died in 1330 during the siege of the fortress in Wyszogród and
was buried in the Cistercian monastery in Kulm (SRP I, s.618).
It has been assumed that ordinary members of the Order were buried in or near
the castle forenburgs. This incorrect assumption was based on five tombstones
found in the outer forenburg of Danzig Castle, three of them without any
decoration and two decorated with a cross (Azzola, 1992; Dobry, 2005). However,
similar finds are absent from other castles and this assumption is not supported
by archaeological research. At the same time, the area of the eastern
parchment of the high castle of Marienburg, south of the chapel of St. Anne, was
used as a cemetery during the Order period (Dobry, 2005; Józwiak/Trupinda,
2007).
Burials of foreigners and guests of the Order in Prussia
Of the many cathedrals and churches in Prussia, the Königsberg Cathedral was an
important necropolis, where mainly secular guests of the Order – participants of
expeditions to Lithuania – were buried. According to Detlefsen, three incomplete
gravestones, originally with metal inserts, in the lower choir of the Königsberg
Cathedral were the tombstones of knights of the Order. However, it cannot be
ruled out that these were guests of the Order who died during the campaigns
against the Lithuanians or died in Prussia.
The Flemish diplomat and traveller Gilbert de Lannoy saw in 1413 in Königsberg "coats
of arms ... from the time of the Prussian voyages" (de
Lannoy, 1840). He probably refers to the heraldic memorial shields, or heraldic
tablets, hung by the guests of the Order in memory of the campaign, of which
nothing has survived to this day.
Memorial tablets hung in memory of the guests of the Order buried in the
cathedral sometimes figure in English heraldic trials of the late 14th century.
Thus, from 1386 to 1389 in England, a heraldic trial was held between Richard
Scroop and Robert Grosvenor. The reason was that they used the same coat of
arms. During the trial, more than four hundred witnesses were heard, including
Geoffrey Chaucer. Nine knights testified in favor of Scroop that during their
travels to Prussia they saw a tombstone heraldic tablet with the image of
Scroop's coat of arms in the Königsberg Cathedral. The fact is that a relative
of Richard Scroop, Sir Geoffrey Scroop of Masham, was buried in the cathedral.
He died during another order campaign in 1363 during the siege of Welun or
Pisten (here the evidence differs). Statement by knight Henry de Ferrers, 19
October 1386:
"The said Sir Geoffrey was in Prussia in a tunic of arms and in Lithuania under
the castle called Piskré he died and his body was brought back to Prussia and
was buried in this same tunic in the cathedral of Königsberg and his arms were
set up on a tablet before the altar."
The court eventually found in favour of Scroope and King Richard II confirmed
the decision in 1390.
In the case of Grey v. Hastings of 1401-1410, Sir Thomas Erpingham testified
that during his visit to Prussia with the Earl of Derby in 1390, he had seen the
arms of Sir Hugh Hastings in the cathedral of Königsberg.
Professor Paravicini, in his work on the history of the Lithuanian campaigns,
lists several guests of the Order buried in Königsberg. Among them are the
French knight Jacques de Neuville, the squire Hans von Skelingen from Austria
and the squire Gerard de Bourbon-Lancy, who died in February-March 1344, as well
as the noble servant of Jean de Blois Philippe Willemsz, who died in February
1364. The knight Sir John Lowdham drowned in August 1390 while crossing the
Viliya, was taken to Königsberg and buried there (Paravicini, 1995).
On the southern wall of the so-called secular church of the Königsberg Cathedral
were three memorial shields of the captains of the Order's mercenaries who died
during the "war of the horsemen" of 1519-1521. The epitaph shields belonged to
Sigmund von Siechau, Philipp von Grevling and Moritz Knoebl. The descendants of
the latter lived near Lyk at the beginning of the 20th century.
Memorial
shields of mercenary captains in the Königsberg Cathedral.
It seems that the burial of the Order's dignitaries in city churches was a
deliberate move to integrate the brothers into the local communities. The
tombstones of knights buried in churches functioned alongside the locals and
were a visual testament to their presence in the area, even though they were
immigrants and an alien element. In every way, and especially given the
deliberate form and ideological program of the images and inscriptions preserved
on them, they also served as a kind of propaganda.
Sources and literature:
The Polish Archives in Gdańsk.
The Państwowe Archives in Torino.
GStA PK, Ordensbriefarchiv.
GStA PK, Orders.
GStA PK, Pergamenturkunden.
Joachim E. The Marienburger Tresslerbuch of the Year 1399–1409. Königsberg,
1896.
de Lannoy G. Voyages and ambassadors of messire Guillebert de Lannoy, 1399-1450.
Mon: Hoyois, 1840.
Non-null observations in the bistory of the monasteries of the Eremitarum of S.
Augustini Conicensis pertinentes // Fontes, vol. 14, 1910.
Pietkiewicz D. Olive tree crown. The birth of the Wschodnie Pomorze children
from the 14th century. Malbork, 2008.
Previous Book of Explanations . Political
Abteilung. Bd. I-VI. Königsberg; Marburg, 1882-2000.
Scriptores Rerum Prussicarum. The social changes of the Pre-Russian Empire to
the bottom of the military order. Erster Band. Hrsg. Theodor Hirsch, Max Töppen,
Ernst Strehlke. Leipzig, 1861.
Scriptores Rerum Prussicarum. The social changes of the Pre-Russian Empire to
the bottom of the military order. Zweiter Band. Hrsg. Theodor Hirsch, Max
Töppen, Ernst Strehlke. Frankfurt am Main: Minerva, 1965.
Scriptores Rerum Prussicarum. The social changes of the Pre-Russian Empire to
the bottom of the military order. Dritter Band. Hrsg. Theodor Hirsch, Max
Töppen, Ernst Strehlke. Frankfurt am Main: Minerva, 1965.
Woelky CP Urkundenbuch des Bisthums Culm. Theil I. The Holy Culm under the
German Order. 1243-1466. West German Empire. II. Abtheilung, Band I. Danzig:
Theodor Bertling, 1885.
Zernecke J. H. Thornische Chronicle in the first edition of the city from 1231
to 1726 contained written documents and recorded them using the word "word".
Berlin, 1727.
Arnold U. The Master of the German Orders 1190-1994. Marburg, 1998.
Azzola FK Steinplatte with a cross from the Danish Order, 14th anniversary //
800 years of the German Order. Austellung des Germanischen Nationalmuseums.
Gutersloh-Munich, 1992.
Bötticher A. The paintings and art galleries of the Eastern Province. Heft VII:
Königsberg. Königsberg, 1897.
Delestowicz N. Bracia Zakonu Krzyżackiego w Prusach (1310-1351):
Prozopographical study. Kraków: Wydawnictwo Avalon, 2021.
Dethlefsen R. The Domkirche in Königsberg i. Pr.: to make new decisions. Berlin,
1912.
Dittrich F. The House of Frauenburg // Briefing on the History and Changes of
the World H.18, 1913; H.19, 1916.
Good A. Płyty and tombstones in the excavations of the Malbork Castle Museum.
Malbork, 2005.
Dorna M. The Research of German Orders in Poland 1228-1309: A Prosopographic
Study. Vienna; Cologne; Weimar: Böhlau Verlag, 2012.
Engel B., Hanstein R. Danzigs mittelalterliche Grabsteine. Danzig: Th. Bertling,
1893.
Fuchs MG Description of the State of Elbing and its uses in topographic,
geographic and statistical studies. Bd. 2. Elbing, 1821.
Grupa M., Kozłowski I. Katedra w Kwidzynie — tajemnica crypt. Kwidzyn 2009.
Hagen EA Description of the Domkirche in Kónigsberg and its adjacent Kunslwerk.
2. Abth. Konigsberg, 1833.
Heckmann D. Fighting for the German Order in Preußen and in the Chamberlain of
the Reichs. Werder, 2014.
Helms S. Luther of Braunschweig. The German Order experienced crisis and
stability in the war and began to fight for the upper half of the 14th century.
Marburg: Elwert, NG, 2009.
Hochleitner J., Mierzwiński M. Kaplica św. Ann at the Wysokim Castle in Malbork:
children, children, conservators. Malbork, 2016.
Jasiński T. Torunia's development in the mid-19th century // Historical Journal, Vol.
46, No. 4, 1981.
Józwiak S., Trupinda J. Organization of construction at the Krzyzacki castle in
Malbork in the early 13th century. Malbork, 2007.
Jurkowlaniec T. Mittelalterliche Grabmäler in Preussen // Ecclesiae ornatae.
Bonn, 2009.
Kwiatkowski K. Polish law of Poland in Prussia 1230-1525. Toruń, 2016.
Mänd A. Visual aids: Creative writing and creative writing (14th–16th months) //
Artistic Culture Week, 28/3+4, 2019.
Mroczko T. Architecture built in the Chelyabinsk region. Warsaw, 1980.
Nickel H. The Grab Plate of the Great Chamber of Commerce of the Liebenstein
Family in Neumarkt in West Germany. // Edwin Redslob at 70.00. Berlin, 1955.
Niess U. Master of Arts Karl von Trier (1311-1324). Station a car in the German
Order. Marburg: Elwert, 1992.
Paravicini W. The advancement of European Adels. Part 1. Sigmaringen: Jan
Thorbecke Verlag, 1989.
Paravicini W. The advancement of European Adels. Part 2. Band 1. Sigmaringen:
Jan Thorbecke Verlag, 1995.
by Quast F. Research on the development of agriculture in Preussen. The Castle
of Marienburg. // Neue PreuBische Provincial-Blatter, No. IX, 1850; H.XI, 1851.
Semrau A. The Grabdenkmal of the Marienkirche zu Thorn. // Conversion of
Copper-Stones to Science and Art in Thorn, No. 7, 1892.
Schmid B. The Inventory of the German Lands of Europe to the Year 1466. Halle,
1935.
Schmid B. A Order of Grabs in Elbing // Elbinger Journal, No. 12/13, 1936.
Steinbrecht C. E. Master
Grabstein in Preußen //
Old Preußische Monatsschrift. Bd. 52. Königsberg, 1916.
Steinbrecht C. E. Preussen
for the time of the landlord: Report on the development of German Ritterordens. The
construction of the German Railways in Preussen. II. The Time of the Landlord.
1230-1309. Berlin: Julius Springer Publishing House, 1888.
Stein C. Memorabilia Prussia // Acta Borussica ecclesiastica, civilia, literaria
or sogfaltige samlung aller hand żur Geschichte des Landes Prussians geohórigens
Nachrichten, TI 2, 1730.
Voigt J. Studies of the Maritime Brigade, the City and the Main Houses of the
German Ritter Order in Germany. Königsberg, 1824. Szwoch R. Starogardzka fara
Św. Mateusz, architecture and design. Pelplin-Starogard Gdański, 2000.
Vossberg FA wrote about Munich's success and wanted to continue the fight
against the Nazis. Berlin: Fincke, 1843.
Wróblewska K. A gravestone of the King of Liebenstein in Nowy Mieście nad Drwęca
// Komunikaty Mazursko-Warmińskie, no. 3, 1961.