Index
» Traditions of burials in the Teutonic Order
Traditions of burials in the Teutonic Order
The Christian belief in the life of the soul after the physical death of man and
the resurrection that would take place at the end of time was the basic premise
for the members of the Teutonic Order at the beginning of its history in the
possibility of building a spiritual union between the living and the dead. The
former, having formed the Order as an offshoot of the Church, as a community of
militant Christians on earth, could support the souls of the already dead, who
were in purgatory awaiting the Last Judgment. At the same time, the living
believed that completely pure souls of believers who had already found salvation
in heaven could intercede for them. The exception to this natural-supernatural
and heavenly-earthly relative reality were the souls of the damned, receiving
punishment in hell.
Operating in such a mental structure, the members of the Order understood their
mission as part of the universal salvation that would be realized in the Second
Coming of Christ. This mission, of which armed struggle was an essential part
and in which the biblical Maccabees were a model for the Order’s brothers,
sometimes required martyrdom (Arnold, 2011). This was the path to salvation and
paradise. Thus, the tripartite reality described above was the reality of the
Teutonic Order, from the point of view of its living members.
Funeral Prayer - Traditions and Practices
The belief in communion with the saved found its expression in the rich and
varied manifestation of the cult of saints and relics, considered to be the
remains of their earthly life, the conviction of communion with those suffering
in purgatory in anticipation of salvation formed another space of religious
activity, including the liturgy called memoria - prayerful remembrance
(Angenendt, 1997/2009).
The act of remembrance accompanies the departure of a brother of the Order from
this world to the next. The attitude towards death in the Order, as in other
religious communities and in Latin culture in general, was the result of
Christian faith and teaching in the field of eschatology, the concept of man as
a spiritual-corporeal being and the broad cultural phenomenon of the taboo of
death. Communication with the soul and body of the deceased was supposed to
prepare him spiritually for purification in purgatory and materially for
resurrection at the time of the Second Coming.
The burial of a deceased brother was an act of mercy towards the body, which all
the brethren were obliged to undertake. As a corporation exempt from episcopal
jurisdiction, the Order had the right to bury both its own deceased members and
those who belonged to the corporation in its own cemeteries. Little is known
about the location of the cemeteries on the territory of the Order's castles and
houses, and this will be discussed below.
In some cases, the surviving brothers were able to refuse the burial of a
deceased member of the Order. Such circumstances were few. According to the
rules of the Order, this applied to those brothers who hid the fact of owning
property, thereby violating the vow of poverty. Then their bodies could be
thrown into the field. If this offense was discovered after the funeral, the
body of the deceased brother was removed from the grave and taken outside the
burial grounds. All other brothers were buried in a Christian manner in a
cemetery specially designated for this purpose. Even those who died while
serving a one-year sentence (for crimes of the third degree) were buried "with a
cross, like others," i.e., as members of the Order. Their souls, like everyone
else, received prayerful support from their living brothers.
In the Order, which was closely connected with the Cistercian tradition through
the Knights of St. John and the Knights Templar, memorial prayer for the dead
was seen as a practice of charity for the soul, although it was not as strongly
developed as in the earlier Benedictine traditions. The Order's statutes clearly
stated that "with regard to the dead, who have already departed before the
judgment of the Lord and therefore need help to come to them quickly, the
brothers should take care that they do not wait long for the help that they (the
living) are to give them" (Die Statuten, p.36).
The practice of praying for the souls of the dead took two main forms. The first
concerned prayers for the recently deceased, whether prayers said at the corpse
or on the death of a fellow. According to the "Rules" of the statute, after the
death of each member of the Order, whether he held any office or not, every
clerical brother of the castle/house in which the deceased had lived before his
death was to recite for his soul the funeral prayer from the order's breviary
and 100 "Our Fathers", and every lay brother of that castle was to recite the
"Our Fathers" 100 times with the help of the rosary:
“Therefore we decree that every cleric brother who pronounces the funeral
office, as prescribed in the Order’s breviary, must say the Lord’s Prayer 100
times for the souls of his brothers” (Die Statuten, p. 36).
Königsberg
Breviary. 14th century.
The laws of Grand Master Dietrich von Altenburg of 1335 extended the prayers for
deceased members of the Order. They provided that in the event of the death of a
brother in a given province or ballet, a Mass for the deceased and an office for
the deceased were to be celebrated in all houses where it was known, and if it
was a feast day, the Mass was to be celebrated the following day. On the other
hand, if two or more members of the Order died on the same day, a memorial
liturgy was to be celebrated in all houses of the ballet/province for each
brother separately, together with a separate vigil, while each lay brother was
to say 100 Our Fathers for each of the deceased confreres of his convent/house.
At the General Chapter in Frankfurt in 1292, the number of prayers for deceased
leaders of the Order was increased in the "Rules" of the Statute: 100 "Our
Father" and 100 "Ave Maria" were to be recited by all the knightly brothers and
sariant brothers on the day when the news of the death of the master reached
their respective castle, and each lay brother was to sing or read one Mass for
the deceased for his repose and to hold a vigil with nine readings (Die
Statuten, pp. 140, 143). In the Acts of Grand Master Luther von Braunschweig
around 1331-1335, the prayers of the lay brothers for the soul of the deceased
master were limited to only one hundred "Our Father".
The second area of prayerful practice for deceased Order brothers concerned
their commemoration after a certain period of time had passed since their death.
This commemoration consisted of the so-called anniversary ,
that is, an annual commemoration on the day of death. According to the statutory
norms prescribed in the Customs, all deceased Masters were to be commemorated
annually. The commemoration/memoria was to be held at the resting place of their
remains. It included a solemn sung mass for the soul of the deceased and a vigil
with three nocturnes (i.e. nine psalms and nine readings). If the body of a
Grand Master was for some reason buried in a place where the Order did not have
a house, such as Poppo von Ostern, who was buried in Breslau, the Landkomthur
geographically closest to the site was obliged to recommend a memorial service
at one of the convents under its jurisdiction. In all other Order castles and
houses, the anniversary of the Master’s death was to be celebrated with a mass
and a vigil dedicated to him. Short notes in calendars and, eventually,
obituaries were used to carry out the annual memoria. Some Masters were almost
completely “erased from memory” because of their actions against the Order, such
as Gerhard von Mahlberg and Gottfried von Hohenlohe (Arnold, 2011).
Poppo von Ostern - held the position of Grand Master from 1252
to 1256, then retired. He died presumably on November 6, 1267.
According to one version, he was buried in Regensburg, where he
lived after his retirement. In the Mallersdorf monastery in
Lower Bavaria, in support of this theory, there is a tablet
stating that "Bruder Popp. von Osternoe" is buried there
(Monumenta Boica XV, s.274-5). According to another version - in
Breslau, in the Cathedral of St. Vincent and St. James, next to
Prince Henry II, who died in the Battle of Legnica (Toeppen,
1853).
Gerhard von Malberg - from 1240 to 1244 he held the position of
Grand Master, as a result of internal struggles in the Order he
was dismissed. The time and place of burial are unknown, his
name was erased from the history of the Order, the only mention
of him is the obituary of Alden Biesen (Arnold, 1998; Perlbach,
1877).
Gottfried von Hohenlohe - Grand Master from 1297 to 1303,
dismissed by decision of the Chapter. His name was erased from
the history of the Order, but was later restored and even
appears in the Dusburg Chronicle (SRP I, p.208).
A memorial prayer in the form of a vigil with one nocturne (three psalms and
three readings) was also recited for the deceased brothers of the Order in the
castle/house in which they died. For this purpose, each Order house had to have
its own obituary. To date, a total of eight known obituaries (or fragments
thereof) have survived from seven Order houses located in the territory of the
Empire (Marburg, Mergentheim, Alden-Biesen, Frankfurt-Sachsenhausen, Ulm,
Hitzkirch and Aachen). There is reason to believe that a common, central
obituary of the Order was also composed in the second quarter of the 14th
century in the main Order castle in Marienburg, but it has not survived, nor
have any evidence of it (Arnold, 2011).
An important part of the commemoration of the members of the Order were the
prayers for the brothers who had fallen in battles against the pagans. The fact
that in the 14th and 15th centuries they were listed by name and anonymously in
the obituaries of the Order houses located in the territory of the Empire, for
example those who fell in the Battle of the Durbe in 1260 and in the Battle of
Grunwald in 1410 in the obituary of Alden-Biesen, those who fell in Accon,
Prussia and Livonia in the obituary of Mergentheim (Arnold, 2011), and that
there was a custom, not recorded in writing (as a statutory norm), according to
which their commemorations were also held outside the conventions to which they
belonged at the time of their death, indicates the existence of a sense of
community. The special memory of brothers who died in battle informed the living
that the armed struggle waged by the Order also had a spiritual component, which
strengthened the conviction that the military mission of the corporation was a
mission carried out within the framework of a universal saving history.
The remembrance extended not only to the brothers of the Order, but also to the
half-brothers, and to all deceased friends and benefactors of the Order who had
made some pious deed or testamentary disposition in its favour. This took the
same form as in the case of the brothers of the Order: "Every lay brother shall
say 30 Our Fathers a day at the appointed time for the benefactors, the members
of the family and all the friends of the house who are still alive, and the same
number for the dead. But this (must not) include the hasty recitation of this
(prayer) Our Father." The greatest benefactors were mentioned by name in all the
houses of the Order. Among this group were: Frederick, Duke of Swabia and his
brother Emperor Henry VI, Leopold VI Babenberg Duke of Austria, Conrad I Duke of
Masovia, Sambor II Duke of Pomerania and Lübeck, and with them also the burghers
of Lübeck and Bremen. At the General Chapter in Accona around 1264, the norm was
recalled according to which a memorial prayer in accordance with the anniversary
– fervent and heartfelt – was to be recited for all donors to the Order in the
churches and chapels where the service was carried out by the priest-brothers of
the Order convent donated by the deceased during his lifetime, as well as in the
Order house itself, to which the donation was made. This norm was confirmed by
Grand Master Dietrich von Altenburg around 1335. At the General Chapter in Mainz
in 1289, full participation in the memorial was also granted to the
half-brothers, and on the basis of the bull of Innocent VI of 1358, also to some
sisters of the Order.
Burial - customs and ceremonies
The Statutes recommended that each Order house should have a white cloth with a
black cross, which was to be used during funerals (Die Statuten, p.71). The
"traditions" regulated matters related to the death of the Grand Master. After
his death, he was replaced by a locum tenens/statthalter, who took upon himself
the great seal of the Order. The remaining members of the Order were obliged to
obey him during the Order's "Sede Vacante". All the belongings of the deceased
were to be distributed to the needy, and one poor person was to be fed for a
year. In the case of the death of a brother who was not a master, this period
was reduced to 40 days - "The house in which the brother died must give to the
poor the best clothes of the deceased brother and for 40 days the food and drink
that are provided for the brother, for alms frees from death and does not allow
the soul that has gone into oblivion to suffer for a long time" (Die Statuten,
pp. 90-91). The duties of the memorial prayer in connection with the death of a
brother of the order are set out in the "Rules" (chapter 10) and described
above. At the same time, the Statute stipulates that no brother should bring any
other sacrifice at any other time of the year (Die Statuten, pp. 36-38).
Very little is known about the rituals associated with the death and burial of
lay brothers. Not a single description of such ceremonies has survived for
medieval Order Prussia. The available data, obtained from inventory and
accounting books, preserved only in fragments, are extremely scanty and
disjointed.
The Marienburg treasurer's book provides information on some of the expenses
associated with the death and burial of Grand Master Conrad von Jungingen, who
died on 30 March 1407. Two stones of wax were purchased for candles "burning in
the mercy of God" (MTB, p. 425). People were paid to pray for the soul of the
Grand Master. Generous donations were made to monasteries and hospitals in
Prussia, as well as to the Corpus Christi Church in Poznań, where one of the
clergy was to pray for the soul of Master Conrad for a whole year. His
successor, Ulrich von Jungingen, donated two marks to the poor on the first
anniversary of his death (MTB, p. 474), and on the second anniversary he bought
a stone of wax for candles that were to burn (probably in the main church of
Marienburg Castle) in memory of the deceased (MTB, p. 536).
The burial of the highest dignitaries of the Order was preceded by a special
funeral mass, celebrated in the Church of St. Anne. It was conducted according
to a specific form, during which special liturgical objects and attributes were
used. According to sources, such a special mass was celebrated for Konrad von
Erlichshausen on November 10, 1449 (GStA PK, XX. HA, OF, No. 17, p. 399). The
body of the deceased was carried to the church or grave in a procession. At the
head of such a procession was carried a wooden cross, kept in the sacristy of
the castle church (MA, p. 127). This is also recorded in the inventories of the
Marienburg bell master, who was in charge of the church property. The ceremony
used a white cloth with the master's cross or the usual Teutonic cross, which
was also kept in the castle churches in case of the death of the Grand Master or
one of the brothers. The cloth was intended to serve as a shroud for the
deceased (MA, s.129, 130, 133).
Similar cloths (shrouds) appear in inventories of other castles of the Order:
Graudenz (two in 1413 and two in 1414 - GAB, s.599, 601), Schönsee (three in
1416 and four in 1421 - GAB, s.416, 418), Memel (one in 1420 - GAB, s.308),
Schwetz (one each in 1427, 1434, 1438 and 1440 - GAB, s.623, 625, 627, 629,
631), Danzig (two kerchiefs in 1428 - GAB, s.704), Osterode (three in 1437,
three in 1449 - GAB, s.311, 337), Elbing (four in 1440 - GAB, s.94), Brandenburg
(four in 1447 and 1452 - GAB, s.237, 241), Gollub (two in 1449 - GAB, s.408),
Rehden (one in 1399 - GAB, s.581), Lochstedt (two in the 16th century - GAB,
s.52), Preußisch Holland (one in 1508 and one in 1518 - GAB, s.109, 111),
Rastenburg (one in 1508 - GAB, s.185), Labiau (one in 1513 - GAB, s.297). Little
is known about the shape of these textiles. The vast majority of these were
white shrouds, decorated with a black cross or gold thread. Only in Rastenburg
in 1508 is there a mention of a green one. They were made of silk or linen and
decorated with velvet. The most likely use of these shrouds was as a ceremonial
shroud for deceased brothers (Ratajczak, 2007).
Hand towels were also used when seeing off the brothers on their final journey
(though it is unclear for what purpose). It is known that chalices were placed
on them during the liturgy. Such a towel is found in Marienburg, in the
inventory of the bell master (1437 - MA, s.127), as well as in other castles:
Christburg (1434 - GAB, s.139), Osterode (1437, 1449 - GAB, s.331, 337),
Bratiaan (1438, 1439 - GAB, s.371, 372), Elbing (1440 - GAB, s.94). The towels
were of different colors. In Elbing there was a red one, and in Schlochau - a
yellow one, which was used in front of the altar (GAB, s.655).
In the chapel of St. Anne in Marienburg, an ornate and two komzhi for services
for the dead were kept (1394, 1398 - MA, s.124). Similar liturgical vestments
were also used in other castles: Osterode (one linen ornate and two komzhi in
1411 - GAB, s.327), Mewe (two ornates in 1416 and 1422 - GAB, s.743, 745),
Danzig (one woolen ornate in 1418 and 1420 - GAB, s.695, 698), Ragnit (one white
ornate in 1419, 1425, 1432, 1444, 1447 - GAB, s.276, 280, 284, 291, 293),
Christburg (three white ornates in 1434 - GAB, s.139), Brandenburg (two white
ornates in 1437 – GAB, s.232), Elbing (an ornate and two komzhi in 1440 – GAB,
s.94), Bratiann (two komzhi in 1442 and one capa in 1447 – GAB, s.373, 374),
Rhein (one white ornate in 1516 – GAB, s.201). The inventory of the castle in
Schlochau for 1437 records an ornate intended for the liturgy for the dead and
during Lent, and two silk komzhi (GAB, s.666). Other information, also from the
inventory of this castle, states that the funeral ornate was also used for
morning mass (GAB, s.655). One of the ornates from the 15th century from the
Church of St. Mary in Danzig is currently kept in the collection of the Gdańsk
National Museum.
Ornate or casula (Latin casula -
"cloak") is an element of the liturgical vestments of a Catholic
or Lutheran cleric. The main liturgical vestments of a bishop
and a priest. An embroidered chasuble, without sleeves, covering
the cleric's body from all sides. The color varies depending on
the holiday.
Komzha, or sticharion (Latin: superpelliceum )
is an element of liturgical vestments in Catholicism. Komzha is
a vestment made of white fabric, reaching to the middle of the
thigh. Komzha is worn at services by non-ordained clergymen, as
well as lay acolytes.
Ornate.
15th century. From the collection of the Gdansk National Museum.
In general, information about funeral ceremonies in the Order and the liturgical
paraphernalia used is very scarce. Even the death of the masters did not
contribute to the holding of magnificent ceremonies. According to the tradition
of the Order, it was a farewell to a brother, which left an insignificant trace
in the sources.
Burial sites and material forms of memory
The surviving material relics, such as tombstones belonging to the brothers of
the Order, confirm the presence of a cemetery both within the premises of the
Order's house and elsewhere. Marienburg is the only documented case of monks
being buried within a fortress – the parcham at the Church of St. Anne was where
the brothers of the Marienburg convent were buried (Jóźwiak/Trupinda 2007/2011).
Some sources also testify to the practice of burying monks outside the
monastery. This was the case in Thorn, where some deceased brothers were buried
in the church in Stary Thorn, located 11 km from the Order's castle. At least
since the 14th century, the practice of burying some members of the Order in
parish churches, both those under the patronage of the Order and others, as well
as in hospital churches, is known. These could also be churches of other orders,
for example, members of the Danzig Convent were buried in one of the choir
chapels of the Danzig church of the Dominican monastery (Azzola, 1992).
The chapel in the Dominican monastery in Danzig is repeatedly
mentioned as the burial place of the brothers of the German
Order.
By letter of 27 July 1446, Prior Heinrich Münbecke, Pauwel
Kruse, Hermann Trippenmacher and other brothers of the Dominican
monastery of St. Nicholas in Danzig, at the request of Grand
Master Conrad von Erlichshausen, permitted a secular priest to
celebrate daily masses for the brothers of the Order at their
traditional burial place - the chapel of the Dominican monastery
(GStA PK, XX. HA, Perg.-Urkk., Schieblade LIV, Nr. 23a).
Letter
dated 27 July 1446, with the seal of the Dominican monastery in Danzig. Secret
State Archives of the Prussian Cultural Heritage.
Already at the beginning of the summer of 1446, the Order
official in charge of customs duties and taxes in Danzig
(Pfundmeister) Winrich von Manstedt instituted a mass for the
repose of the deceased brothers of the Order, celebrated at the
altar in the burial chapel, as well as a position for a lay
priest, for whom he determined an annual salary of 9 marks. On
July 10, Master Konrad von Erlichshausen approved this
institution and agreed with the Dominicans that a morning mass
would be celebrated daily in the chapel by a secular priest and
4 times a year a vigil and morning mass by the Dominicans.
And so in the letter cited the Dominicans, at the request of the
Grand Master, pledged to provide a priest who would serve mass
every morning in the chapel, near the choir of the monastery
church, where the burial place of the brothers of the Order was
located. And also to hold a memorial service with a night vigil
for the deceased brothers of the Order four times a year.
The Order's chronicler Nikolai von Eroshin, who wrote his chronicle in the first
half of the 14th century, mentions one knight-brother, Heinrich von Bondorf, who
died in 1330 during the siege of the fortress in Wyszogród and
was buried in the monastery in Kulm (SRP I, s.618). There is information about
the burials of knight-brothers in the parish churches in Osterode (Burchard von
Mansvelt, died in 1379), Brandenburg (Günther von Hohenstein, died in 1380) and
Neumark (Kuno von Liebenstein, died in 1392). In
Königsberg, in the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, was buried the Grand Marshal
Henning Schindekopf, who died in the Battle of Rudau, and in the Hospital Church
of the Holy Spirit in Elbing was buried the Grand Hospitaller Ortulf von Trier.
It is known that the Danzig Komtur David von Kammerstein was buried in front of
the entrance to the chapter hall in the Cistercian monastery in Oliwa (Kronika
oliwska, p. 93). Therefore, it is highly likely that the tombstones found during
post-war archaeological research in the area of the former Order castle in
Gdansk are not dedicated to local brothers of the Order, which has already been
stated in the literature on this subject (Azzola, 1992; Dobry, 2005).
Tombstone
of Kuno von Liebenstein. Basilica of St. Thomas the Apostle in Nowy Mięsto
Lubawski (Poland). The length of the slab is 260 cm, the width is 140 cm. The
inscription in Latin on the slab: "HIC IACET DOMINUS KUNE DE LIBENSTEEN QUI FUIT
ADVOCATUS IN BRATIAN QUI OBIIT ANNO DOMINI MCCCXCI IN FERIA QUINTA OCTO DIES
POST FESTUM SANCTI BORCHARDI AMEN" ("Here lies Mr. Kune de Liebenstein, who was bailiff in
Bratian, who died in 1391 on the fourth day after St. Burchard's Day <October 20
— admin >.
Amen.")
Only a few tombstones of the Order's brothers have survived to this day in their
original form; a few are known from descriptions or engravings. Given their
small number, it is difficult to draw too far-reaching conclusions about their
appearance and content. At the same time, more information is available about
the burials and tombstones of the Grand Masters. Until the 1340s, the Masters of
the Order were buried in various places, wherever they happened to die. From
1341, their remains were buried in the Chapel of St. Anne in Marienburg Castle,
although not all subsequent heads of the corporation were buried here until the
mid-15th century (Jóźwiak/Trupinda, 2007/2011; Arnold, 2011). Several Grand
Masters were also buried in the Königsberg Cathedral.
The first Master to be buried in Prussia was Siegfried von Feuchtwangen, who was
buried in the cathedral of the Kulm bishopric, the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity
in Kulmsee. "In that year, on the third nona of March, Brother Siegfried von
Feuchtwangen, Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, died in the chapter house in
Marienburg and was buried in Kulmensee ,
in the cathedral church" (SRP I, p.176). The exact location of his burial is
unknown, but fragments of the Master's tombstone have survived to this day and
are used as steps to the chapel of Blessed Jutta of Sangerhausen, the patron
saint of Prussia, who is also buried in the Kulmsee Cathedral
. Presumably, Master von Feuchtwangen was buried next to Blessed Jutta in the
right nave of the cathedral (Arnold, 1998; Jurkowlaniec, 2009).
In 1335, Master Luther von Braunschweig died in Stuhm and became the first
Master to be buried in the Königsberg Cathedral, which was still under
construction at the time. This was his last will and it was Master Luther who
contributed to the construction of the Königsberg Cathedral and the Chapel of
St. Anne in Marienburg. His burial place was covered with a tombstone made of
Gotland limestone with the following text: "Brother Luther, son of the Duke of
Braunschweig, was Grand Master of the Hospital of the Most Holy (Mary of the
Teutonic House) for 4 years. He died in the year of the Lord 1335 on the 14th
Kalends of May" (Steinbrecht, 1916). There was also a niche in the southern wall
of the high choir with the allegedly buried remains of the Grand Master. In this
niche there was a recumbent figure of Luther von Braunschweig, created in the
16th century by a Königsberg master. The figure of the master was made of linden
and painted - a red tunic and a pillbox cap, a blue pillow and a white order
cloak with a black cross. In the niche there was an epitaph: "Here lie the bones
of the founder of the cathedral Luther, Duke of Braunschweig, Grand Master of
the Teutonic Order, who died in 1335" (Helms, 2009; Jurkowlaniec, 2009).
Niche
with a wooden figure of Grand Master Luther von Braunschweig, Königsberg
Cathedral, 1930s. Latin inscription: Hic Conduntur Ossa Conditoris Templi
Cathedralis Luderi Ducis Braunsvicensis Magistri Gener(alis) Ord(inis) Teut(onici)
Mortui MCCCXXXV. ("Here lie the bones of the founder of the cathedral, Luther,
Duke of Braunschweig, Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, who died in 1335").
The first of the Masters to be buried in the Chapel of St. Anne of Marienburg
Castle was Dietrich von Altenburg. A total of 10 of them were buried in the
crypt of the Grand Masters in the Chapel of St. Anne between 1341 and 1450. Only
the gravestones of Dietrich von Altenburg, Heinrich Dusemer and Heinrich von
Plauen have survived to this day. However, modern archaeological research has
shown that Master von Plauen was buried in the crypt of the church of
Marienwerder Castle. Also buried there were Masters Werner von Orseln and Ludolf
König von Wattzau, whose gravestone has been preserved in the cathedral to this
day (Grupa/Kozłowski, 2009).
Reconstruction
of the burials of the masters in the crypt of the Marienwerder Cathedral
(Kwidzyn). 2015.
The inscription on the tombstone of Dietrich von Altenburg indicates that the
Masters buried under it are the "master of the slab", and it is believed that it
originally covered the opening of a crypt/crypt in the eastern part of St.
Anne's Church. However, the next Grand Master also received his own tablet,
which was already provided with visual elements in addition to the legend. Thus,
Master Heinrich von Dusemer is depicted in monastic robes, with a sword and a
shield decorated with a cross against the background of an arcade, accompanied
by a pair of angels. However, this slab could also have been made as a so-called
symbolic tombstone, in memory of the deceased, whose ashes, like those of all
subsequent Grand Masters, were buried in the crypt covered by the slab of
Dietrich von Altenburg. The slab of Master Heinrich von Plauen stands out -
modest in form, simple, the inscription on which simply reports the death of the
brother of Heinrich von Plauen, without mentioning his previous or last position
(at the time of his death he was a pfleger of the castle of Lochstedt).
Chapel
of St. Anne. Marienburg. Postcard. 1910-1920s.
With the loss of Marienburg and the transfer of the Order's capital to
Königsberg, the cathedral on Kneiphof Island became the final resting place of
the Grand Masters. A total of five Masters were laid to rest in the cathedral's
crypt, and the last Grand Master, who became Duke during the secularization of
the Order and the recognition of vassalage from Poland, Albrecht von
Brandenburg-Ansbach, was buried at the eastern wall of the high choir
(Dethlefsen, 1912).
Choir
of the Königsberg Cathedral. Epitaph of Duke Albrecht and entrance to the crypt.
1930s.
The presented material, although rather meager, allows us to state that the
methods of perpetuating the memory of the Teutonic Knights in Prussia changed
along with changes in the community itself and the mentality of the brothers.
Sources and literature:
GStA PK, Orders.
GStA PK, Pergamenturkunden.
Joachim E. The Marienburger Tresslerbuch of the Year 1399–1409. Königsberg,
1896.
Pietkiewicz D. Olive tree crown. The birth of the Wschodnie Pomorze children
from the 14th century. Malbork, 2008.
Monument to the dead. Vol. XV. Munich, 1787.
Perlbach M. The Statutes of German Orders. Halle, 1890.
Scriptores Rerum Prussicarum. The social changes of the Pre-Russian Empire to
the bottom of the military order. Erster Band. Hrsg. Theodor Hirsch, Max Töppen,
Ernst Strehlke. Leipzig, 1861.
Ziesemer W. The gross volume of German Orders. Danzig,
1921.
Ziesemer W. The Marienburger Book. Danzig, 1916.
Angenendt A. The study of religion in the Middle East. Darmstadt, 1997; 2009.
Arnold U. The German Chronicles of Olden Times and Mergentheim // Historical
Provenance: New Editions and Current EDV Projects; Swiss Federal Institute of
Culture 2011. Torun, 2011. pp. 145-59.
Arnold U. The Master of the German Orders 1190-1994. Marburg, 1998.
Azzola FK Steinplatte with a cross from the Danish Order, 14th anniversary //
800 years of the German Order. Austellung des Germanischen Nationalmuseums.
Gutersloh-Munich, 1992. S. 22-3.
Dethlefsen R. The Domkirche in Königsberg i. Pr.: to make new decisions. Berlin,
1912.
Good A. Płyty and tombstones in the excavations of the Malbork Castle Museum.
Malbork, 2005.
Grupa M., Kozłowski I. Katedra w Kwidzynie — tajemnica crypt. Kwidzyn 2009.
Helms S. Luther of Braunschweig. The German Order experienced crisis and
stability in the war and began to fight for the upper half of the 14th century.
Marburg, 2009.
Hochleitner J., Mierzwiński M. Kaplica św. Ann at the Wysokim Castle in Malbork:
children, children, conservators. Malbork, 2016.
Józwiak S., Trupinda J. Organization of construction at the Krzyzacki castle in
Malbork in the early 13th century. Malbork, 2007; 2011.
Jurkowlaniec T. Mittelalterliche Grabmäler in Preussen // Ecclesiae ornatae.
Bonn, 2009. S. 177-219.
Kwiatkowski K. Polish law of Poland in Prussia 1230-1525. Toruń, 2016.
Perlbach M. German Orders of Necrology // Research on German Orders of
Necrology. Bd. 17. Göttingen, 1877. S. 357-72.
Ratajczak K. Czy in the Krzyżackim Law has a funkcjonal ceremony been held? //
Historical and cultural heritage, Lednickie Funeral, Spotkanie 9. Poznań, 2007.
S. 419-26.
Toeppen M. Studies of the successful historiography. Berlin, 1853.